The amount of weight loss will depend on how fast you walk as well as how long and how far you walk. Be sure you start out gradually and work your way up to longer distances. By combining a good weight loss diet plan with a walking routine, you’ll be able to lose those unwanted pounds pretty quick.
While walking is very easy and beneficial to your body, there are a few things to be aware of. When starting a new walking exercise program be sure to do the following:
- Make a long-term commitment to staying with your exercise program. Walking and weight loss do not happen overnight. It will take a little time to see the results. But, if you stick with it, the results will come.
- Walk with a friend or your spouse if possible. It will be easier for you both to keep motivated when doing any kind of activity together. Exercise is no different. It also makes the time go by quicker.
- Have a good pair of exercise shoes. Your feet will love you for it. Spend a little extra on your walking shoes and you will help prevent any feet problems later.
- Set goals for yourself. It can be distance goals, weight loss goals, or length of time walking goals. Then, when you reach a specific goal, reward yourself. Do something special for yourself. You deserve it.
- Keep a record of the distance you walk and the time it takes. Also keep track of your weight loss and body measurements each week.
- Have 2-3 different places you go to walk. It can be easy to become bored with the same old routine. Mix it up and eliminate this from happening.
- Continue to educate yourself on the benefits of walking and exercise. This information will help strengthen your commitment.
- Now here are some things that you do not want to do in your walking program:
- Don’t have unrealistic weight loss expectations the first few weeks. It is going to take a little time. By walking 3-4 times a week along with a good diet plan, you will lose weight.
- Never walk alone after dark. Personal safety is much more important than any kind of exercise program. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. You may even want to carry a whistle with you.
- Don’t skip any of your walking sessions. Make a schedule out and then stick to it.
- Don’t go crazy and try to do too much at once. It’s so easy to get excited and overdo it with any new fitness program. Again, setup a walking schedule and stay with it.